Video Poker Strategy
Video poker machines are really popular amount players from all over the globe. Lots of players dream of improving their winning chances by using several not very difficult rules. It is one of not so many games, you can really beat. It can become your game if you have a wish to use the low house advantage and enjoy the thrill with not a big investment.
How to Play Video Poker
There are different modes of video poker games, but the set of rules is common for each of them.
- Poker hands used are standard.
- A player gets 5 cards at the start.
- A player is provided with a choice whether to hold or refuse any of his cards.
- Any of the cards chosen to be discarded, are to be substituted in a random draw.
- In case your hand will match any of the poker hands, you get a prize.
Video poker players should hold a straight, royal flush, full house, 3, 4 of a kind or 2 pair. When having 3 of a kind, you should refuse the rest 2 cards in order to have a chance at 4 of a kind. When having 2 pair, refuse the 5th card in order to have a possibility of a full house.
Just in case you’ve got 4 cards to a royal flush, you can break up a straight or a flush. It means as you have all of clubs (9, jack, queen, kind and ace), you should discard 9. That way you still have a option of a flush, a straight and a pair of jacks.
In case you’ve got 4 cards to a lower straight flush or 4 cards to royal flush, you should break up a pair of jacks or better.
Always choose to keep a low pair, rather than one high card.
Video Poker Strategies
There are three most spread video poker casino games: Jacks or Better, Deuces Wild and Joker’s Wild.
- Jacks or Better means you must have at least a pair of jacks to gain. The basic playing scheme for it is as follows:
You are aimed to be paid the more possible and take smaller risks. You should draw to it, in the event you’ve got 4 to a straight or a flush, and in case you have 3 to a royal flush. In the event you were dealt a pair, hold it, alike it’s better to hold any 3 cards to straight flush. In the event you have none of them, hold any Jacks and higher. In the event you haven’t got any of them, you should cross the fingers and draw 5 totally new cards.
- Deuces Wild has reduced payout scales, because it’s not hard to get big hands, while all the deuces of the deck can be substituted for any suit and rank. The basic scheme for it is as follows:
There is no way of improving the hand if you’ve got four deuces, so hold all cards. Hold everything if you’ve got a royal flush or 5 of a kind, and if you were dealt 3 deuces. If you’ve got 2 deuces, keep any hand starting from 4 of a kind and higher. Also, hold any 4 cards to a royal flush. When you’ve got one deuce only, keep all the hands, unless you’ve got 3 or 4 cards to a royal flush or a straight flush. Have no deuce? Then keep all the hands and 4 to a flush or straight. You should hold 3 cards to a royal flush. In the event you have none of the above stated, hold to any pair, hold the 2nd pair only in the event a full house pays as much as 4 of a kind. Have no pair? Then hold any to high cards (10 and higher). However, if you have none of those cards, draw 5 new ones.
- Joker’s Wild is somewhat of middle between Deuces Wild and Jacks or Better. It is to be played a 53 card deck (including one joker). The joker may replace any suit and any rank. The basic scheme for that game is as follows:
The strategy is similar to the Jacks or Better, but do not forget about the jokers. You may keep all 3 of a kinds and higher. In case you’ve got joker, keep 3 cards.
There are also other kinds of video poker, such as Texas Hold’em, Seven-Card Stud, Omaha, etc. They all have their structure and rules. Try to find detailed info on them before you pick a game and start playing for cash. You should also read detailed explanation of rounds and find the info on poker terms.
- High cards – in case you have them paired, you return your initial bet. High cards include jacks, queens, kinds and aces.
- Outside straight are cards 7-10.
- Inside straight are straights with one card missing – 6,8,9,10. However, 2-4 and J-A are inside straights as well.
- Straight Flush draw (1st type) – the number of high cards is equal or higher than gaps number.
- Straight Flush draw (2nd type) – 1 gap, no high cards; 2 gaps, 1 high card; ace low; 2,3 and 4.
- Straight Flush draw (3rd type) – 2 gaps, no high cards.
Free Video Poker Games
Sometimes totally new players or players having no experience at all are afraid to play video poker for real cash, while they might lose a lot. But fear to lose money is not the reason for not playing the game you desire. Almost all modern online casinos offer such a wide range of games that no one will get bored, including free online games. Video poker is not exclusion. Make your own research and find a good and trustworthy online casino with a rich choice of free casino games. Playing free video poker is a pretty good way to practice your abilities and each of the strategies stated above for finding the best for you. Playing free games you can also determine your favorite variant of video poker for starting to play for cash in future.